Airport Guide for Covid-19 Standarts
Objective: This standards guide has been prepared in the COVID-19 pandemic, which has an impact in our country and in the world, to assist airport managers, terminal managers and all institutions / organizations managers at the airport in order to ensure that airport operations are prevented from spreading the disease and to eliminate risks.
These standards guide was created based on the COVID-19 guide prepared by WHO International Health Regulation, ICAO Appendix 9, Aviation Medicine Guide for States, and similar international publications and the Ministry of Health and the best practices and examples in our country and world airports.
Standard Topics to be Considered in the Certification Process
- Passenger health and safety,
- Employee health and safety,
- Additional precautions taken in the facilities,
- Public information and communication,
- Operations at ground services,
- Operations at air services,
- Responsibilities of stakeholders,
- Risk analysis and review of precautions.
1.Passenger Health and Safety
Standards, measures and precautions to be applied by passengers, airport managements, airline operations, ground services operations, etc. from the moment they arrive at the airport to the departure from the airport at their destination, including the private public transportation vehicles used for arrival / departure from the airport are given below.
- The precautions and personal protective equipment determined by the health authorities are mandatory for the passengers who will use the airport. Those who do not comply are not admitted to the airport and facilities and aircraft.
- In private public transportation vehicles used for transportation to the airport, the passenger’s transportation is ensured by following the social distance plan (at least 1 meter), with its sparse seating arrangement, it is constantly monitored and controlled. The Civil Authority informs and warns the relevant public transport companies.
- The use of shuttle service without a mask is not permitted for the passengers who will use special public transportation services for transportation to the airport.
- Passengers using the airport are subjected to body temperature measurements with a thermal camera and / or contactless thermometer.
For Domestic / International Passengers; body temperature measurement with thermal camera and / contactless thermometer is applied by the operating company at the entrance of the terminal building.
For Passengers Coming From Abroad; body temperature measurement with thermal camera and / contactless thermometer is applied by Turkey General Directorate of Border and Coastal Health Unit or if Turkey General Directorate of Border and Coastal Health does not exist at the airport, it is implemented by the Provincial Health Directorate at the passenger bridge / terminal arriving passenger entrance door.
- Except for the companion, passengers are not allowed to enter the terminal buildings (greeter/sender).
The status of the persons who come for ticket sales, maintenance and repair purposes are decided separately by the airport operator.
- Unmasked people are not allowed to enter the airport and facilities.
- Passengers who are determined to be unsuitable for the flight by the Ministry of Health and reported to the airlines via information systems are not allowed to flight.
- For passengers coming from risky areas, in order to minimize the contact in addition to the measures determined by the health authorities, different entry and exit points are provided than other passengers as far as possible physical conditions permit.
- Thermal camera / fever measurements of passengers coming from risky areas are applied at the terminal entrance. Passengers with fever, cough, and respiratory distress are put on a medical mask and directed to the airport health unit and managed according to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 Guidelines.
The airline company may request from the guests their personal information about COVID-19 that will be shared with the Ministry of Health and third countries. Criminal sanctions are applied by the General Directorate about those who make false statements and their flight is not allowed. Airline passangers will be asked about their contact informations and adresses in Turkey before the flight.
2.Health and Safety of Employee
Personal protective equipment that employees must use during the pandemic should be provided by the institutions / organizations and it should get the employees to use them.
a) Personal protective equipment is provided by the employer for the personnel who will be in close contact with the passengers and their baggage, and it is used by the staff as long as it is on duty.
These equipment; 1. Medical mask 2. Gloves 3. Face protective / goggles.
b) Personal protective equipment is provided by the employer for personnel who will not be in close contact, and it is used by the staff as long as it is on duty.
These equipment; 1. Medical mask 2. Gloves 3. Face protective / goggles
c) The precautions (Antiseptic, cleaning and disinfection of tools, materials and equipment when necessary, disinfection of the neighborhoods) specified by the relevant authorities in the terminal building, offices worked, other facilities of the airports and similar closed areas are taken by the institutions / organizations
The measures taken are checked, minutes are issued by the Civil Administration for those who do not comply with the measures, and criminal sanctions are applied by the General Directorate.
d) Since there is a need to ensure the physical and mental health of the personnel in charge of ensuring that operations continue regularly and safely without disruption, the training of the personnel is renewed and supported in terms of moral motivation, if needed.
e) Training of personnel on hygiene, infection control measures training and sanitation, ways of transmission of COVID-19 disease, hand hygiene, use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and contact with the passenger in case of virus outbreaks of COVID-19 etc. is given online or in a remote environment.
It should be ensured that these trainings are compatible with the training material on the Ministry of Health website.
f) Until personnel who will be in close contact with the passengers (security, counseling, check-in officer, baggage attendants etc.) come to work, they will use means of transportation such as shuttle, car, public transportation, etc. The personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the employees to use is provided by the institutions / organizations they are affiliated with.
g) Body temperature measurement is applied to the employees at the main entrance of the airport or at the entrance of the terminal building by thermal camera and / or contactless thermometer.
Employees with fever, cough, and respiratory distress are put on a medical mask and directed to the airport / local health unit and managed according to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 Guidelines.
h) In the duty and resting areas of the personnel, a hand antiseptic in accordance with the standards is kept by the institution and organization to which it is affiliated.
i) The disinfection of the tools, equipment, equipment (radio, handheld detector, etc.) used by the personnel is ensured to be done by the staff himself or by the staff responsible for.
3.Additional measures taken in the facilities
a) Measures are taken to protect the social distance at least 1 meter in all facilities and terminal building of the airport. Both the employees and the people who will use the airline are taken into consideration while taking these measures. In this context; social distance measures are taken in all areas, including security points, check-in, eating-drinking areas, halls with entrance restrictions, boarding, etc. that people who will use the airline can encounter from the moment they arrive at the airport until the time they leave the airport at their destination.
b) Terminal buildings and working areas are ventilated in line with the recommendations of the health authorities. Each institution / organization is responsible for the ventilation and maintenance of its own facility and the maintenance frequency of the ventilation systems will be increased. There are central heating-cooling ventilation systems in the terminal buildings, and if these systems are operated in normal order, possible infected air can spread to other parts of the Terminal Building. Therefore:
- Central heating-cooling ventilation systems should be operated with fresh air.
- Since the ventilation systems and air conditioners will cause the spread of possible infected air due to the air circulation it creates, it should be ensured that the air flow is directed to the regions where the density of people will be low with the directional louvers.
- Installing HEPA filters in ventilation systems and the filters that are smaller than Corona Virus diameter, ionizer systems etc. (physical, chemical) should be supported with purifiers. Technically, if it is not possible to install a HEPA filter in the ventilation system, the most suitable solution should be applied.
c) As much as possible to minimize personal contact; , encouraging online check-in and payment with contactless cards. Check-in counter, food and beverage areas, information offices, boarding counter, etc. will be seperated with pilexiglass barrier or a seperator with the risk analyzes to be performed in areas where passenger and employee are faced, or in any area that may be needed.
d) The usage of the common areas will be restricted according to the risk situation. In this context; , measurements will be taken to protect the social distance in playgrounds, smoking rooms and places of worship or closed if necessary.
e) Precautions To Be Taken During Passengers, Personnel and Baggage/Item Scanning:
- Before and after the checkpoint, hand antiseptic will be placed for the passengers to use.
- The cleaning and disinfection of the materials (trays, etc.) especially frequently used by passengers and personnel will be carried out periodically by taking into consideration of the passenger density and risk assessment.
- In order to minimize the contact, it is essential to use the alternatives required for security screening.
- Passengers will be reminded verbally to leave items that should not be with them before screening.
- The device group (X-RAY equipments) will be operated in accordance with the protection of the social distance and if necessary, the devices will be repositioned.
- During the pass of passengers or personnel from the control/X-Ray units, documents such as travel document, identity card, airport entrance card will not be touched unless necessary. If needed, disposable gloves will be used.
- If security check by hand is required, personnel will change disposable gloves after each use.
- Medical masks and face shields will be provided to the scanning personnel and personnel in device controls.
- In the maintenance and repairs to be carried out by the authorized service, those devices will be disinfected and received in disinfected contidions.
- Applications on aviation security will be carried out within the scope of the current “Aviation Security Bulletin” prepared by the General Directorate of Civil Aviation specifically for the service.
4.Public Information and Communication
a) Warning information is published on the information screens.
b) The precautions, studies and passenger information that are taken on the airports will be published on social media accounts and web pages in a way to attract attention.
5.Operations at Ground Services
a) In the car parks, the measures to be taken for incoming and outgoing passengers are in the responsibility of the airport / terminal operator.
For departure passengers at the airports, COVID-19 measures are started from the parking lot area, passengers are observed in this area in accordance with the social distance rule, and in case of doubt, it is ensured to act according to the airport pandemic plan.
b) The measures to be taken in the rental places of the airport are in the responsibility of the ones that rent those places.
c) Measures regarding employee and passenger contacts are taken into consideration.
d) The measures at the other facilities of the airport are under the responsibility of the institutions / organizations according to their field of activity.
e) Restrictions and precautions for greeters and senders are under the responsibility of the airport operator, and the conditions of those who come for ticket sales, maintenance and repair purposes etc are separately evaluated by the airport operator.
f) Precaution about tools, equipment, materials, hardware maintenance, cleaning and disinfection, waste management are taken.
Regulations should be made regarding the management of personal hygiene material wastes such as disposable medical masks and gloves in buildings in line with the requirements of the Circular (2020/12) published on 07.04.2020 by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization by Institutions, Organizations and Enterprises.
- The disposable medical mask, gloves, is thrown into the closed trash bag or the litter bin with lid.
- Gray waste boxes are placed in the entrance and exit and common areas and it is stated that it is only for these materials.
- Gloves, masks and so on. will be thrown into those gray waste boxes.
- Waste boxes have lids, they are kept closed when not in use.
- A plastic bag is inserted into the gray waste boxes.
- If there is 3/4 load in the waste box, it is carried to the temporary waste storage in a bag by the personnel in charge.
- These wastes are kept in the temporary waste storage for at least 72 hours with their lid closed and delivered to municipalities as other waste within the scope of domestic waste.
- Waste boxes are disinfected after each waste discharge.
- Personnel who collects waste uses personal protective equipment.
6.Operations at the Air Services
a) The necessary measures are taken by the airport operator / terminal operator in the halls with restricted access, VIP-CIP, Lounge and the measures for the leased places in these areas are taken by the tenants.
b) The passenger’s boarding / landing to the aircraft and transportation with ground service vehicles where necessary is under the responsibility of the relevant institutions / organizations according to their field of activity. Necessary precautions, especially social distance, are taken by these institutions / organizations.
c) The necessary measures, especially social distance in the areas of baggage manipulation, are taken by the relevant institutions / organizations according to the field of activity.
d) The measures needed during the loading and unloading of the luggage on the plane are taken by the relevant institutions / organizations according to the field of activity.
e) Cabin baggage is not accepted on flights, the items to be accepted in cabin are limited with laptops, handbags, briefcases and baby items; other items except for these are checked in as inside of the luggage at check-in process.
f) The measures needed in the arrivals halls are taken by the airport operator / terminal operator.
g) Aircraft cleaning and disinfection is carried out by the relevant institutions according to their field of activity.
h) All measures such as vehicle, equipment, material, equipment maintenance and cleaning and disinfection are under the responsibility of the operating institution / organizations.
i) In addition to the existing waste management by institutions / organizations and enterprises regarding waste management; regarding the management of personal hygiene material wastes such as disposable medical masks and gloves in buildings and campuses, regulations should be made in line with the requirements of the Circular (2020/12) published by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization on 07.04.2020.
7.Responsibilities of Stakeholders
Responsibilities of institutions and organizations serving within the airport,
- Training of its own staff,
- Supply and regular use of materials for cleaning and disinfection of PPE and its own facilities,
- Waste management of PPEs such as disposable medical masks, gloves,
- Suspicious cases are managed according to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 guide.
- Tracking of all international flights to airports is carried out under the coordination of the Ministry of Health-Turkey Border and Coast Health General Directorate of units and the airports where Turkey’s General Directorate of Border and Coastal Health is not organized, tracking of all international flights are carried out under the coordination of the Provincial Health Directorate. Monitoring of international arrivals with thermal cameras is made by Border Health units.
- Special waiting areas are created at the airports for suspicious cases from abroad, and their management is carried out according to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 guideline.
- At airports where there are no health facilities, special waiting areas are created for suspicious cases to be encountered on domestic flights, and their management is carried out according to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 guideline.
- Within the scope of combating pandemic, chemical disinfection applications are required with products approved by the Ministry of Health.
- Common Measures For Facilities
Type of Hand Disinfectants;
a) Alcohol-based hand disinfectants are preferred, sensor use is recommended.
2) Common Use Doors;
a) The doors of the areas in the use of passengers / personnel in airports, especially terminal buildings, are automatically opened / closed to prevent contamination as far as physical facilities allow.
3) The frequency of cleaning of the areas where the passengers are heavy in contact is increased.
a) Frequent contact areas and other areas such as door knobs, screens, handrails, elevator buttons, counter tops, handles of escalators, tables in food and beverage areas and other areas are cleaned up to 4 times a day.
4) Frequently contacted surfaces are covered with disinfectant.
- Touch screens and frequently contacted surfaces are frequently cleaned with disinfectant chemicals and / or sprayed / cleaned with disinfectant that provides longer protection with a single use.
- This disinfection application can include self check-in kiosks, luggage wrapping machines, counters, elevator buttons, elevator and stair handles, information desks, luggage trolleys, etc. equipment.
5) Toilet cleaning;
a) Toilet floors, stones and urinals are cleaned with water and detergent as standard, and then with 1/100 diluted bleach.
b) Toilet cleaning, garbage disposal, toilet sinks cleaning, toilet door handles, siphons etc. cleaning frequency of places is increased. Disinfection of toilet paper and toilet paper containers is provided.
6) Disinfection of floors and carpets;
- Cleaning with water and detergent,
- It is sufficient to clean the carpet surfaces with vacuum cleaner three days a week,
- Areas with heavy passenger traffic are frequently vacuumed and cleaned,
7) As far as possible, it is encouraged to switch to SMS / QR Code, Electronic check-in applications instead of giving the boarding pass. If it is not possible, the use of machines to remove boarding passes by the passengers in a way that minimizes contact with the employee can be applied.
8) At the check-in counters, the technologies for the remote contactless scanning of the TC ID card are encouraged to prevent the attendant from coming into contact with the passenger.
9) It is ensured that the removal times of the waste are shortened,
10) In the commercial areas operated by the leaseholder, the use of contactless pos is compulsory to ensure that customers pay with smart payments (for minimum cash exchange)
11) In food and beverage areas, it is encouraged to remove the printed menus and to provide the menu to the customer on the online / digital screen or mobile environment,
12) In eating and drinking areas, serving with disposable cutlery, spices, glasses etc. is encouraged or compulsory according to the risk,
13) It is ensured that surfaces (tables, chairs) are cleaned with at least 70% alcohol after use / separation of each user,
14) Automatic disinfectant with automatic sensor is provided in the food and beverage areas,
15) Social distance is maintained at service desks and customer service in all common areas,
16) It is not allowed to organize any collective entertainment activities,
17) It is ensured that the number of seating groups in arrival/departure passenger areas is reduced and human traffic unrelated to the flight is prevented.
18) It is ensured that signs and notifications regarding social distance are placed at regular intervals with high visibility and clear instructions and warning announcements are made in at least 2 languages (Turkish-English) at certain intervals depending on the requirement.
19) Because of the health checks that may cause long queues for passengers have to be carried out, necessary measures are taken to prevent density at the entrance of the terminal building,
20) More than 30% capacity is not allowed in elevators,
21) Regarding the protection of social distance and directing passengers on the ground and air side in line with these rules, personnel are trained and assigned to the terminal building and apron.
22) If it is to be opened, warnings (applications such as pure lanes etc.) that will provide social distance are made in the public areas such as food and worship,
23) It is ensured that adjustments are made in all passenger seating groups, passenger lounges (Gates) across the terminal, and necessary markings are made on seating groups,
24) For employees working in the stores, KKE is required to be made mandatory, precautions are taken with pilexiglass separator in line with the risk analyzes to be made for places such as cashier departments that are served face to face and food service areas where the order is taken.
25) It is ensured that periodic automatic / manual disinfection of the toilets and control of the schedules related to the rigorous follow-up of this work.
26) It is ensured that the passengers are guided at the exit of the apron and boarding the plane / passenger bridge, by the passenger services officer by respecting the social distance through.
27) Information about the measures that passengers should take regarding COVID-19 and the measures taken at airports are provided to be published on flight information screens (FIDS).
28) Air curtains should not be used in building and terminals.
29) Bellows ventilation should be operated continuously, during the passage of passengers, ventilation of the passage corridors should be increased with fresh air from outside.
30) Ventilation (in all areas) should be ensured to be operated with fresh air from outside.
31) Arrangements should be made in the area where there are conveyors in the baggage delivery section, which will oblige passengers to take their luggage by obeying the social distance.
32) After each use baby care rooms should be cleaned according to the cleaning and disinfection rules recommended for toilet areas.
33) People working in porter services for those in need, usage of PPE should be provided.
34) Regular disinfection of wheelchairs etc. used for passengers with reduced mobility should be carried out.
9.Risk Analysis and Review of Measures
- Additional measures are taken in accordance with the measures taken in the country and in the world by the Pandemic Commission.
- The Commission may increase and decrease measures by conducting a weekly risk assessment.
BEFORE FLIGHT (BEFORE COVID-19)
CHECK-IN LUGGAGE SERVICE
*Boarding pass production
*Take out electronics
*Take out fluids
*Take out metal items
*Fresh food is offered
*Control of boarding cards
BEFORE FLIGHT (AFTER COVID-19)
*Cleaned / disinfected trays in X-ray areas
*Those who do not travel are not taken to the terminal building
*Health and safety information
* Mask control
*Except for exceptions, no baggage in the cabin
*Delivery of baggage
*Non-touch passenger guidance screens
*Contactless identity control
*Electronic boarding pass
*Cleaned / disinfected tray in X-ray areas
*Contactless boarding pass and identity check
*Rules and prohibitions on food and beverage venues will depend on the regulations to be applied across the country.
*Products such as newspapers and magazines will not be available.
*Hand sanitizer will be kept.
*Paying attention to maintaining social distance in the area and determining the number of guests’ acceptance in the hall and not exceeding
*Final check of flight availability
*Keeping the social distance, boarding the plane
In case of the passenger showing the symptoms of the disease is detected, he is removed from the passenger bridge and sent to the health unit.